Sunday 23 January 2011

Review: The Iron Queen - Julie Kagawa

The Iron Queen (Harlequin Teen)Title: The Iron Queen
Author: Julie Kagawa
Format: ebook
Genre: Fantasy, Young Adult
Published: 25th January 2011 (Harlequin Teen)

My name is Meghan Chase.
I thought it was over. That my time with the fey, the impossible choices I had to make, the sacrifices of those I loved, was behind me. But a storm is approaching, an army of Iron fey that will drag me back, kicking and screaming. Drag me away from the banished prince who's sworn to stand by my side. Drag me into the core of conflict so powerful, I'm not sure anyone can survive it.

This time, there will be no turning back.

*POSSIBLE MINOR SPOILERS OF THE PREVIOUS BOOKS IN THE SERIES*
My reviews of these can be found here: The Iron King and The Iron Daughter

Following on from the previous two books, Meghan finds herself being drawn, unwillingly, back into the land of Faery. Just when she thought she was going to be able to start to live a 'normal' life again. With Ash, Puck and Grimalkin by her side, Meghan is given the task of eliminating the False King who has taken over the ruling of the Iron Fey.

As we have come to expect from this series, the writing is impeccable, with just the right amount of detail combined with action and emotion.The characters continue to develop nicely, as do the relationships between them. I did find the start of the book a little slow to get into but this didn't last long and I was soon back into the story.

One thing I love about the characters in these books is that they aren't perfect. Meghan in some ways still isn't a hundred percent sure about being part faery, she has doubts about her abilities and she still struggles to control her glamour. Puck is clearly struggling with the fact he's in love with Meghan and Ash has a whole heap of issues going on.

The end of the book was a little surprising, in a good way because it didn't really stick to what was expected. I was also glad to find out that there is to be a fourth book, The Iron Knight - which is Ash's story *Big squeee*, which sounds awesome because Ash is my favourite character.

If you've already read the previous Iron Fey books then you've probably already made your mind up about whether to read this one. If you haven't ... DO IT NOW!

Disqus for A Trillian Books

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails