Tuesday 4 May 2010

Review: The Iron King - Julie Kagawa

The Iron King (Harlequin Teen)
Title: The Iron King
Author: Julie Kagawa
Series: The Iron Fey
Format: Paperback
Pages: 363
Genre: Fantasy, YA
Published: 1st February 2010


Meghan Chase has never fit in at her small-town high school, and now, on the eve of her 16th birthday, she discovers why. When her half brother is kidnapped, Meghan is drawn into a fantastical world she never imagined--the world of Faery, where anything you see may try to eat you, and Meghan is the daughter of the summer faery king. Now she will journey into the depths of Faery to face an unknown enemy . . . and beg the help of a winter prince who might as soon kill her as let her touch his icy heart. The Iron King is the first book in the Iron Fey series.

A brilliant plot with great characters and excellent writing. Why can't all books be like this? From the first time I heard about The Iron King I was really looking forward to reading it. I love stories with faeries so that instantly captured my attention and I really liked the idea of it including some familiar characters such as Puck from A Midsummer Night's Dream.

I don't think there was a character in this book who I disliked. Well, ok, so I disliked the bad guys but only in the way we're supposed to, as well-written characters go even these guys were great. Meghan is a likeable protaganist. I liked that she didn't believe what she was being told about the world of Faery straight away and even when she accepted that things were happening around her, she was still reluctant. I hate books that have "the world is completely different to what I thought but hey ho, that's fine" characters, and Meghan certainly wasn't one of these. Puck is loveable and fun, always up to mischief and I thought it was cute how he calls Meghan "Princess" right from the start. The best character by far in my opinion though was Ash! Gotta love those bad boys!

There were some elements of The Iron King that reminded me of other books; Alice in Wonderland and the Narnia books being the most obvious. This wasn't a bad thing though, not only are they great stories to be compared to but it was also part of the plot that certain parts of Faery were familiar.

A definite recommended read!

Other reviews of The Iron King

I will be reading and reviewing The Iron Daughter soon!

Disqus for A Trillian Books

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails