Tuesday 27 April 2010

Review: Living Dead in Dallas - Charlaine Harris

Cocktail waitress Sookie Stackhouse is on a streak of real bad luck. First, her co-worker gets murdered and no one seems to care. Then Sookie is attacked - and poisoned - late one night by some weird and apparently mythical beast. She only survives because the local vampires roll up and graciously suck the poison from her veins (like they didn't enjoy it). But in return the blood-suckers need a favor.

Which is why Sookie ends up in Dallas, using her telepathic skills to search for a missing vampire, on the condition that her undead friends don't do anything, well, vampiric while she's there. Easier said than done. All it takes is one delicious blonde and one small mistake for things to turn deadly...(Goodreads)


I always find the second book in a series hard to review and although I did really enjoy reading Living Dead in Dallas, it was no exception. It's also really hard to review the book without comparing it to the TV show.

My brain was having some issues with this, surprisingly more so than the first book/series because in this one a lot of it is actually different but the main plot points are still there and that some times had be thinking "Wait, that wasn't supposed to happen". Another thing I find takes a bit of getting used to is that the books are completely from Sookie's point of view. Once I'd got passed this stuff though, I managed to read without comparing them and I started to enjoy it a lot more. 

I like that we're starting to learn more and more about the paranormal in Sookie's world as well as the Fellowship of the Sun and I hope this continues in future books. I think that the main thing that makes the Southern Vampire Mysteries series different from others is that the lore is realistic. One of my biggest pet hates is books who have some kind of loophole for things like vampires and sunlight. Another thing I like about these books is that they show good and bad paranormal creatures as well as good and bad humans.

Obviously the absolute best part about the whole thing is Eric though! =D

Disqus for A Trillian Books

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails